Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The journey begins...


The journey has officially begun. And I have decided to document my trip.

With my month off between college and career I have decided to follow one of the great American dreams and head west. I am riding solo throughout the country and meeting up with people along the way.

I left Raleigh, NC on Tuesday May 17th around 6:00pm. Great weather for the beginning of a long journey. Warm. Sunny. Windows down. Tunes blastin'. Twas' a good feeling! However the beginning-of-journey-buzz quickly wore off and I was soon stuck looking at the BEAUTIFUL scenery which is interstate filled NC, SC, and GA.

Fast forward multiple hours and I found myself still driving around 1:00 am and decided to get a few hours sleep. I received a tip about a particularly nice rest stop right across the GA-AL border near the famous town of Shawmut, AL (google “Best Town in the Entire World” if it doesn't ring a bell at first). I parked at the rest stop and stepped out of my car for the first time in awhile. For a second, I thought I headed North on 85 instead of South. It was stupidly cold. Being the warm blooded northerner that I am, I figured it wouldn't be anything crazy sleeping for a few hours. However, I'm pretty sure it was one of the coldest nights the state of Alabama has ever experienced in May. And I was only armed with two sweatshirts and a semi insulated windbreaker. It was awesome...

With a good 4 hours of cold, cold sleep under my belt, I set off again and sailed down to the town of Abita Springs, LA (30 mi. north of New Orleans) where I currently reside. I totally forgot about the time change when planning what time I wanted to get here so I arrived a bit prematurely. I am currently at a coffee shop where I was able to find some Wi-Fi and caffeine and am killing time until Abita Brewery opens at 2. It will be the first brewery of my nationwide tour so I'm pretty pumped. I still have an hour and a half until tour time and I just learned Abita has a brew pub right down the road so I think I'm going to go get a pint and burger while I wait. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment